[CQ-Contest] "Hack" open-source typeface (good for Hams)

Steve Sacco NN4X nn4x at embarqmail.com
Sun Aug 30 21:39:01 EDT 2015

I've always liked typefaces, and am always on the lookout for ones which
might be put to good use in Amateur Radio.

I came across this one earlier today, named "Hack".   I've quoted a
description of its strengths, below, but also should add that it uses a
"zero" character which is highly differentiated from a capital "O",
which is great for us, obviously.

[ QUOTE ]
Hack is characterized by a large x-height, wide aperture, and low
contrast design in order to be "highly legible" at common coding text
sizes. Its "sweet spot runs in the 8px-12px range on modern desktop and
laptop monitors," Simpkins writes on GitHub. "Combine it with an HD
monitor and you can comfortably work at 6 or 7px sizes." As seen in the
image above, there's a heavier semi-bold weight in the regular font, and
strategic serifs eliminate large gaps on each side of narrow characters.
As Simpkins notes on the SourceFoundry site, this helps to distinguish
glyphs like the lowercase l and number 1 at small text sizes.

[ /QUOTE ]

[ LINK TO ABOVE ]
http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/08/open-source-typeface-hack-brings-design-to-source-code/

I've downloaded it to my Windows PC, and it looks very good, so I
thought I'd pass it along.

[ LINK TO FONT ] http://sourcefoundry.org/hack/

Steve Sacco
NN4X