[CQ-Contest] Claiming assistance when not actually assisted

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Dec 3 15:00:57 EST 2015

I don't see anything "unsportsmanlike" here at all.  Although I've never
claimed assisted when operating unassisted, I see nothing wrong at all
with entering any category that I qualify for.  I am morally required to
enter assisted if I just once look at a bandmap populated from a packet
node, even if it doesn't actually result in a QSO, but I can't enter
assisted if I don't?  That makes zero sense to me.

If I operate low power I can't enter high power?  If I operate only CW
in ARRL 10m I can't enter Mixed?

I'm not entering to get "better results" ... I spent the same effort and
exhibited the same skills (or lack thereof in my case) no matter what
category I enter.  My score (results) is the same.

In my opinion, categories should automatically up-scale anyway.  QRP
could feed LP and HP.  Single band could feed multiband.  Single mode
could feed multi-mode.  Unassisted could feed assisted.  Off the top of
my head I can't think of any reason why not.

Dave   AB7E