[CQ-Contest] Category hopping

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Mon Dec 7 13:39:00 EST 2015

Personally, I don't see the problem here.  It seems to me that the
category you qualify for doesn't have anything to do with what you
started out to be, or what you told somebody (other than the contest
sponsor) you were after the contest ... but instead is based upon what
you actually did during the contest and what you officially submitted to
the contest sponsor.  I find it odd that every other discussion here on
this reflector ends with what falls within the contest rules ... except
this one.  If you qualify for more than one category you should have the
option to choose which one within the window that the contest sponsor
gives you.

And how is it "sneaky" that somebody waits until the last minute to
submit their score and doesn't bother to submit to 3830?  That makes
zero sense to me.  If somebody wants to tip their hand regarding the
category for which they intend to submit, that's their choice.  3830
seems to me to be somewhat of an anachronism now anyway for contests
that require official submissions to be made within a matter of days.
There isn't even any requirement that posts to 3830 be accurate.   I
could imagine stations posting inflated scores to drive off a
competitor, or posting deflated scores to bait somebody into that
category before they switch.  Now THAT might be considered sneaky ...
but still has nothing to do with violating any contest rules.

I too have a great distaste for what the M-S and M/2 categories have
become, since I think they pervert the original intent to have
categories for smaller operations, but that's a different argument. And
at the moment, the contest sponsors haven't done anything about it and
they are still legal.   For some stations, a great part of the appeal
for those categories is how creative they can get stretching the rules
via technical methods.  I can understand that, but I still think it's
unfortunate how it disenfranchises the smaller stations those categories
were originally meant to serve.

73,
Dave  AB7E