[CQ-Contest] Category hopping

Oliver Dröse droese at necg.de
Mon Dec 7 18:12:36 EST 2015

Jeff & all,

can somebody help me, please? Seems I just don't get it ...

How do you know how they operated? Have you been there? Did you ask
them? How do you know if their 3830 report has not been wrong (i.e. they
accidentally chose M/2 as reporting category instead of M/M because they
did so for the last 8 years or so)? What does a packet spot analysis
tell you? Yes, maybe they were only running on 2 bands in parallel. Do
you know if they didn't do mult chasing on the other bands at the same
time? How do you know if they did not have any technical problems and/or
transmitted on 3 or more bands at the same time (interlock problems
during mult chasing, etc.)? Wouldn't you expect them to change to M/M
then (if they ever started as M/2 before) to still comply with the rules
and not risk a DQ? Wouldn't that be a perfect example of playing
integer? Questions upon questions ...

Besides the M/M rules state: "The six contest bands *may* be activated
simultanously." Re-read it. It does not say "must be activated". If you
use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 stations is certainly up to you, available
equipment, available OPs, a.s.o.

Certainly a few things to think about before starting bad calls at guys
who seem to have played perfectly by the rules. And please don't compare
that to UT5UGR last year. He did not play by the rules. That's why he
got DQ'd, easy as that. Not the case here!

Don't get me wrong. I do not argue because I might be biased as a German
(I do not even know most of the OPs at CR3L) but because of missing
fairness in the current discussion. You expect guys to play by the
rules. They did (as far as we know). So what's wrong here? Why are you
asking them for self-defence? All perfectly legal ...

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de