[CQ-Contest] Suggestion to solve category hopping

James M. Galm, W8WTS jim at w8wts.com
Tue Dec 8 15:33:50 EST 2015

Hi Ken,

1. Make sure that you have the class, power, calls, overlays, etc. set
correctly before the contest starts.  If you feel the need to change these
during the contest, so be it, but at 0000Z you are what you are.
2. You make a good point, but an easy one to solve.  Tell the logging
software developers to add a feature that automatically makes a Cabrillo
file and emails it at 0000Z.  You could operate on and off all weekend and
have fun whenever convenient.  Leave the software running and it will make
your entry for you at 0000Z regardless of whether you are there or not.
Computers are great for automating dull, repetitive tasks; let the computer
do the work so you can concentrate on the important things.
3. Improve the contest robot so that it allows only one submission per
entry.  I am sure that you were joking when you said that you altered your
log after the end of the contest before submitting it.

Thanks and 73,

Jim, W8WTS.