[CQ-Contest] CQWW popularity from USA Perspective: data

kr2q at optimum.net kr2q at optimum.net
Mon Dec 21 13:44:15 EST 2015

Interesting question.  Of course, we all "know" that popularity has been increasing over the years.
And there is some variation proportional to the sunspot cycle.  But here is the compiled data.

My approach is that Multi-Multi's are a good group to utilize for this analysis.
They work as much as as they can, on all bands, all the time, throughout the contest.

Here is a table for USA.  I hope it displays OK.  I have also graphed this file.  The trend line
formula is y=189x + 211.28.  Keep this in mind when comparing to my next post for EU M/M.
If you would like a copy of the Excel file (v2010) with graphics, just drop me a note and I'll
email it back to you.

All data was taken from CQWW.com (public availability), as per Randy's post.

Conclusion: For USA entrants, there are more logs submitted per year and the number of
QSO available to USA continues to increase per year.  Therefore, contesting continues to
be more popular (broad trend) in the USA.  Stats are for SSB entries.

de Doug KR2Q

Year	Q's
1959	190
1960	498