[CQ-Contest] CQWW popularity from EUR Perspective: data

donovanf at starpower.net donovanf at starpower.net
Thu Dec 24 13:00:38 EST 2015

Hi Peter,

While 7 a.m. in Europe may be a good time to sleep, it doesn't
follow that there is no propagation from Europe to USA after
7 a.m.

40 meters usually remains open for at least a few hours after
European sunrise. Its not unusual to work Italian stations as
late as 0900Z (or later) and stations in the British Isles much
later. Scandanavian stations can be worked as late as 1300Z

20 meters frequently has a very strong opening to Europe after
European sunrise, peaking at about 0800Z. The opening typically
fades at about 0900Z and the band typically reopens just a few
hours later, about an hour before east coast sunrise. Unfortunately,
the "European sunrise" 20 meter opening will become less
common as Solar Cycle 24 continues its decline.

73
Frank
W3LPL