[CQ-Contest] Uniques

Ken Widelitz widelitz at gte.net
Thu Dec 31 14:18:05 EST 2015

from the 2015 CQWW CW UBN. There were 26 calls on the list. After listening
to my recording, I can report that ALL except one were my copying errors.
The one that wasn't bad was a call that had a /4 appended to it. Doug
reports that all portable number designators are ignored in log checking, so
why that appeared on the unique list is a mystery, but in any event, I was
not dinged for it and Doug is checking it out.

I have to admit that on about 6 of those "uniques" the station sent me the
correct call more than once and I didn't correct it in my log. That
"liddiness" appears to be the downside to my dueling CQs as they all were
sandwiched between QSOs on the other radio.

In my earlier post I indicated 10 - 15% of my uniques in prior years were
good calls. It should be noted that still only amounts to about 3 - 4 good
calls labeled unique per contest. Notwithstanding the foregoing, I am not in
favor of deleting all uniques.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT