[CQ-Contest] SO2R - One or two power supplies

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Feb 24 16:11:10 EST 2015

On Tue,2/24/2015 11:41 AM, Mike Ritz, W7VO wrote:
> If for no other reason than redundancy. If you lose the one power supply, you lose BOTH radios and you are off the air.

Yes. I'm running a pair of K3/P3/SVGA/KAT500 with Titan 425 amps during
contests, and one of the K3/P3/SVGA with a KPA500 during the week. SO2R
is the YCCC SO2R box. All the 12V gear in my shack runs from two big
Trojan 6V golfcart batteries that are charged by my solar system during
the warm half of the year, and from a 10A supply during the colder half.
The reason for the difference is that my tall trees shadow the solar
panels roughly between spring and fall solstices. :)

Whatever you choose to do, it is critical that you do proper bonding of
all your interconnected gear to avoid hum, buzz, and RFI.  See
http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf  for a scheme that satisfies
concerns for that, for RF, and for lightning protection.

73, Jim K9YC