[CQ-Contest] Remote operations

David Siddall hhamwv at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:07:00 EST 2015

Just so that there is no confusion:  K4VV, (operated M/M under the callsign
K3TN in ARRL CW) is a Virginia station built by former PVRC president K4VV
and managed by his good friend W0YR.  It is not one of the rental
stations.  This station's remote capabilities were designed and built by
its operators, first and foremost by W0YV.

An interesting facet is that the station has no wired internet connection.
Internet is received at the shack wirelessly over the 2.4 MHz WiFi/ham
band, albeit operating as a Part 15 WISP.  But they could up the power and
use their ham privileges to make the Internet connection if more than Part
15 was needed.

Another interesting factoid is that the station was snow-bound during the
ARRL CW contest.  After Saturday morning no one could easily have accessed
the shack even if they wished.  The station would have been absent from the
airwaves without the remote capability.

And finally, a little-known fact:  it sits on an amateur radio historic
piece of land.  This was the location of K4LIB's station, otherwise known
as  Arthur Godfrey.  (Youngsters: ask your parents.)

My hat is off to K4VV, W0YR, and the others who pulled this off after years
of innovative work.

73, Dave K3ZJ