[CQ-Contest] If this were a contest............

Yan (XV4Y) xv4y at nature-mekong.com
Thu Jan 22 20:29:49 EST 2015

Charly,

When in HS (or XV), if you call an expedition when they "CQ JA" or even "CQ EU", most of the expeditions operator will not consider it as "out of turn".
They know you are rare, they know it will never be "your turn".
Just call when it seems appropriate.

I don't remember which expedition it was, but once the operator heard a VK or ZL, so he sent "VK?" and worked that station.
I was listening to the RX frequency and noticed they were only a few VK/ZL.
The operator then sent "CQ VK/ZL", I did not call the first time, letting him work another VK.
Then the second time, I called him and got him in the log.

Of course it all depends on the dxpedition operator. After 15 minutes I have often enough information about his operating pattern to know if I have a chance or not.
Some very good operators are aware of who is in the crowd and how to manage the callers.
You know it's worth waiting a little bit more to work them.
In a few rare cases, after less than 5 minutes I knew I would not work this expedition and I prefer to entirely skip it instead of growing in anger.
My operating time is limited, I prefer to keep it for "quality time".
A last thing, I am lucky enough to work from home, and I very rarely call a dxpedition during a week-end or during their first days.

73 es GL,
Yan.
---
Yannick DEVOS - XV4Y