[CQ-Contest] Wk HS ssb on 80/160 special freqs

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Mar 4 22:12:57 EST 2015

Yes, this could be a real problem.

If only we had some means of alerting people when a station from HS running
SSB is found in the lower portions of 80 and/or 40 meters.

Just think... why, you could use a BBS type system, have someone who
discovers the station post a message on said BBS or equivalent, and it would
be read by hundreds, maybe thousands, of hams across the world in a matter
of moments.

Now, we could use the Internet for a system like this.  Or we could use a
digital mode, such as, oh, I don't know, AX.25, to run a system like this on
VHF or UHF.  In fact, we could do both... use V/UHF for local BBS's -- call
them "nodes" -- and tie those "nodes" together via the Internet.  Hmmm.
"Nodes" sounds like a medical condition.  Maybe a better word would be...
clusters.  Yeah, that works.

We could call it the AX.25 system, but that doesn't roll well off the
tongue.  Come to think of it, most AX.25 operation uses "Packet" radio.

Why, we could even combine the two terms...  Packet Cluster.  A network to
pass information along to interested stations.  Of course, users of this
would be considered to be operating with assistance from others... but
somehow, I think we have categories in the contest for just this
possibility.

Packet Cluster.  What a concept.  Too bad it will never work...

/sarcasm

73, ron w3wn