[CQ-Contest] CQ WW CW 2014 TO7A

Ed Sawyer sawyered at earthlink.net
Sat May 9 03:47:27 EDT 2015

There is no doubt that Dim is an outstanding CW contester based on the 1
hour Youtube video posted.  The question is not whether he could maintain
synchronized dual band CQs - its quite clear - he can.  The question is the
ability to do that AND find mults as efficiently as he did in the log.  It
sounds like Randy attempted to have Dim produce some explanation of his
ability after a DQ concern was appearing.  Dim either didn't get or didn't
respond to the request.  Had he been videoing the whole contest, and showed
how he was searching for the mults, it likely would have been a closed case.
I would agree with others that have stated that 5 days seems pretty short
for such an important communication.  What is wrong with having it posted
for 2 weeks all callsigns that the organizer is looking for more info from?
Or other such forum as a secondary manner to be sure that those that care -
can be sure they are good - just like posting that your log has been
received.  Then at least the organizer can say that if you are a top
contender,  its your responsibility to be checking there in a certain window
of time.

One other observation.  While Dim's method of 2 keyboard - 2 radio
synchronized CQing is impressive, it doesn't jump out at me as to how it
translates into efficient mult finding - at all.  I agree with others - and
use the same technique myself - that banking mults that I have found and
looking for the right timing - is a common practice.  How you found the
mults to pounce on is the issue.

If Dim actually has the video demonstrating this critical area, it's a shame
it wasn't produced as Randy asked for.  I personally don't have video of me
running a contest.  I guess if I can start being good enough to be finding
mults that efficiently while generating 250+ rates, I should start doing so.

Ed  N1UR