[CQ-Contest] My experience applying for a 1X2 call, HELP!

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Wed May 13 20:11:42 EDT 2015

On Wed,5/13/2015 9:38 AM, Kent Olsen wrote:
> I have been applying for 1X2 calls for over a year. All the calls I have
> applied for have been 6 calls (because I live in CA). I have lost in
> competition every time.

Keep at it. I've gone through the process twice, and it took a while to
win. :)  Consider a 2x1, which also works well for contesting, and can
be a big advantage in WPX.

> I am considering changing my strategy. I may apply for calls from other
> areas. I have some questions about using a different call area # from CA.
>
>     1. Does this put me at a disadvantage, or give me an advantage in a
>     contest? Why?

I contest actively from my home in CA, but kept my 9-area call when I
moved from Chicago 9 years ago. The only contesting disadvantage of an
out of call area call is that until you become known to other
contesters, you'll be asked for more fills on exchanges that are related
to geography (state, ARRL section, zone).  For DXing, it can be a
disadvantage when the DX is calling by number.

K2RD, N3ZZ, K5RC, K3EST, W0YK, N2NS, N5KO, ND2T, W1SRD W2SC, W4UAT,
W4NJK, K3FIV, K9JM, and W1RH are all active members of the Northern
California Contest Club and actively contest using their out of area calls.

> 2. During the California QSO Party, does this put me at a disadvantage
>     while calling CQ CQP?

YES, a BIG disadvantage. I work CQP with a group, and we use someone's
6-call.

73, Jim K9YC