[CQ-Contest] Preview of CQWW Rules 2015

Scott Robbins via CQ-Contest cq-contest at contesting.com
Sat May 23 16:09:24 EDT 2015

WC1M:
>  I don't see the necessity of this change. Having just a call sign or just a
>multiplier doesn't provide enough information to complete a QSO. You need
>the frequency. Station identification (call sign or exchange or multiplier)
>and frequency are the necessary and sufficient information that defines "QSO
>alerting assistance". The only thing the change does is prohibit
>single-frequency CW decoders, which provide no competitive advantage and may
>be needed by ops with hearing problems.
No, it prevents the use of Super Check Partial also.
Proposed rule language:
2. QSO alerting assistance: The use of any technology or other source that provides call sign or multiplier identification information about a signal to the operator. Thisincludes, but is not limited to, use of DX cluster, packet, local or remote call sign decoding technology (e.g., CW Skimmer or Reverse Beacon Network), or operating arrangements involving other individuals.
If hear <staticcrash> _ .   ....    . _ _ _    SCP will very helpfully tell me the callsign is I8NHJ.   It's not necessarily I8NHJ, but callsign information has been provided to me.  This is definitely "the use any of technology or another source that provides call sign or multiplier information about a signal".   Any technology is just that - any technology.  It says nothing in the rule that the callsign data provided about a signal to an operator has to be correct or unique.  If a callsign appears on the screen in any other form than letters I typed decoding CW by ear, that meets the definition.
73
ScottW4PA