[CQ-Contest] Proposed rule changes

Dick Green WC1M wc1m73 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 17:01:06 EDT 2015

No, look at the revised draft again. The phrase “of confirming QSOs” has been stricken in the new version. It now reads just “other methods”. This wording prevents any editing whatsoever after the QSO has ended (and the “end” hasn’t been defined, either!) You can’t correct typos at any time after the end of the QSO, either during or after the contest.

I would suggest that even the wording “other methods of confirming QSOs” is too vague. SCP is another method. Using your memory to confirm a callsign is another method (e.g., I read the NG3K list before the contest and use my recall of that to correct a callsign.) Because of this, it’s not clear to me whether the previous wording, which was targeted at editing after the contest, was intended to prohibit correcting typos (so long as the log matched what was sent and received, of course.) Some have argued that any correction to the log after the contest constitutes an extension of operating time, and therefore should not be allowed.

Personally, I believe if you combine these elements, you get the right rules:

1.       What is logged must match what is sent and received

2.       Unassisted operators cannot use sources of information prohibited for that category to correct log entries

3.       Absolutely no editing of the log after the contest is over or the claimed number of operating hours has been reached

73, Dick WC1M