[CQ-Contest] Proposed contest rules

KQ2O via CQ-Contest cq-contest at contesting.com
Sat May 23 23:42:28 EDT 2015

Personally I have never understood why the rules (or before rules, the opinions) treat post contest (let alone during contest) editing of logs before submission as a no-no. not talking about padding of course, but correcting typos. I always thought the contest was about how many folks you could work as well as multipliers and related strategy - NOT about your typing skills. Seems to me if you notice an error in your log after the contest (or during), you should fix it so it conforms to what you actually did during the contest, who you REALLY worked or the REAL exchange, not leave the wrong info in the log.

besides affecting your score, plus penalties, failure to fix a simple logging error also penalizes the guy on the other side of the qso who did nothing wrong! he/she gets a NIL + penalty.

as for recording the contest, seems to me we are going way overboard on "security". this is a fun hobby not a life and death operation. can't help but think this comes from the TO7A debacle. I think imposing another requirement on very many contesters when only a very few are cheaters is foolish, especially since the cheaters always find workarounds - e.g. excess power, remote receivers, etc., none of which are detectable, ordinarily, to continue on their ways. probably will figure out how to workaround the recording as well. would make much more sense to impose stronger "punishment" when someone is caught cheating - e.g. TO7A type cheater should be banned for life from all contests run by same sponsor (and maybe other sponsors would ;piggyback), and have any prior submissions retroactively DQed, and records expunged. lesser offenses would have appropriate penalties.

as an aside, seems like the log reviewers are very expert at what they are doing even without recordings, and have developed fine technology to detect rule breaking. they are to be commended.

Hank  KF2O