[CQ-Contest] Preview of CQWW Rules 2015

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Sun May 24 12:59:54 EDT 2015

> On May 23, 2015, at 3:03 PM, Randy Thompson K5ZD <k5zd at charter.net> wrote:
>
> I had never considered using a CW decoder to put an op in assistance until
> the scenario above not only happened, but clearly demonstrated an advantage!

This was all clearly predicted during the big Skimmer (code reader) debate seven years ago.  It was inevitable that without anything stopping it a CW Contest would become more like an RTTY Contest.  The only step necessary to put five rigs on the air with lockouts is to automate the pressing of buttons once callsigns have been copied that match the SCP.  I'm surprised full automation was not accomplished in that many years.

> We need to decide what skills a contest should test.

If nothing else good comes of the TO7A operation, perhaps a renewed interest to preserve SOAB instead of eliminating it will be the result.  That's a good thing.

> Randy, K5ZD

Stan, K5GO