[CQ-Contest] Distance Based Scoring

Richard F DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at verizon.net
Thu May 28 07:07:18 EDT 2015

i think you're going to have to assess whether you have some serious
unintended consequences of changing certain major contests to
distance-only.  Part of the allure of the CQWW and part of the success
of CQWW as a DX contest is that there is ample "sexy" DX to be worked.
Hams go off to 3D2, 5R8, ZD8, 8R, FJ, 3X, and other localities to be
rare and to give out points to the deserving.  If a QSO from 5R8 to
Frankfurt will, in the future, have no greater point value and allure
than a QSO from Washington DC to Frankfurt, you've suddenly provided a
lot of disincentive for hams to go to these places.  This affects not
only their activity levels, but also reduces the appeal to casual
contesters and DXers who no longer see the appeal in CQWW as a major DX
contest.

Indeed, that why many people complain about ARRL DX - that there are
very few "sexy" activations in that contest (leading some to call it the
world's largest QSO party).

For those who argue continuously about distance based scoring, seeing it
as a major game changer and being an all-out equalizer, I would
recommend that people review the analysis that DJ1YFK did for the 2008
CQWW (one of the prior times when this topic came up).

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2009-December/088293.html

The winning SOAB-HP score was still in the Caribbean.   In fact, four
out of the top five scores for SOAB-HP were in the Caribbean.

Granted this was 2008 (at the nadir of the sunspot cycle), and behaviors
were geared towards rules in effect during that time period....

If someone wants to do the same analysis for 2014, knock yourself out.

73 Rich NN3W