[CQ-Contest] When is it OK to refuse to give out a QSO?

Steve Lott lottsphoto at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 06:35:57 EST 2015

To the OP that flamed Jim for not 100% QSLing

hmmm.......  My nickles worth

while I believe in a bit different QSL practice ( I try and reciprocate
expediently) to anyone that sends me an SASE or a dollar bill via snail mail

Do I enjoy replying to snail mail QSLs, hell no !!!

I would encourage you to be in a guy like Jim's shoes
#1 he shares a hell of a lot of his time with other amateur ops in other
ways
he has mentored many, both on and off the air
While I do not know Jim personally, he has helped me many times
with his excellent info of RFI, Torrid use, RF choking, grounding versus
bonding etc

#2 for many of us including myself (even though I still do reply to snail
mail cards)
reply of QSL by US mail sucks !!!
why, it is so much of an out dated method, it waste time and resources
for many business professionals Time = Money

#3 a possible solution........

QSL Via the Buro for everything
If you work ON4UN you will get a card via the Buro
regardless if you have an eqsl or lotw qsl from him
I think I have a card from John for every hf band
I am sure he uses in shack automation to do these
cause he is a very busy guy.

AND yes many ops do not have envelopes at their BURO
and guess what, those uncollected cards go in the Heaven forbid Trash can
Oh My !

And please remember that using ARRL LOTW is supporting the ARRL
which is a good thing in my book
Besides you get fast credits for the contact if the other station is
uploading to LOTW
Are you having issues getting LOTW set up
simple call the league for help they will walk you thru it, but better yet
read the FAQ PDF on the site first

Speaking of QSLing which is of course a bit off the original topic btw
How many are not embracing the use of http://ClubLog.org ???

By the way I also feel real hams sign their call and the end of
email discussions, along with their name
but guess what,   Doug,
that is a personal thing :)

IOW Lighten up !

Cheers!