[CQ-Contest] Why some Caribean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Fri Nov 6 12:22:53 EST 2015

This is why the contest structure set up by Tree of the Stew Perry Top
Band Distance Challenge, where the exchange is grid squares is so
appealing.  If it a DX contest this makes so much sense as the computer
logger determines the points automatically base on the distance between
the stations grid exchange.  Spending 40 hours to send 599 to every
contact is not needed for any valid reason. Imagine how exciting and now
fair the CQ WW would be if the score were computed by grid distances.
Clearly this would give a chance for stations that are not now
competitive a better chance to be so. Right now Aruba is actually closer
to the western half of the US than the Virgin islands which is 64.7
degrees West  Longitude. Using grid squares would level the playing
field and remove the clearing unfair continent ambiguities.

But contest rules are nearly impossible to change.  Like in the ARRL 160
meter contest the U.S. Virgin Islands are lumped in with the states but
only a few miles away VP2V in the British Virgin Islands are consider to
be DX.  The same is true with this contest where all the U.S. Pacific
Territories are consider to be Hawaii.  Even if you were to operate from
Palmyra in this contest your are not considered to be DX but lumped in
with Hawaii. You could never be in the top ten no matter how rare you
are on 160 meters.  Because of the fact that this is patently fair by
the contest gurus who refuse to make actual DX as DX I just don't
operate in this one.  What is the point when your good effort can't even
be listed? The structure of the ARRL 160 meter contest is so screwed up
that a station operating from KP1 or Navassa is consider the U.S Virgin
Islands. How does this make any sense as neither are considered DX
which everybody should know is just plain wrong.

Me Dos Centavos

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ