[CQ-Contest] [ NPR.org ] "Did The Language You Speak Evolve Because Of The Heat?"

Steve Sacco NN4X nn4x at embarqmail.com
Fri Nov 6 15:27:32 EST 2015

This is an interesting story on its own, but, being a long-time Ham, I
naturally tend to view things through my "Amateur Radio Lens", and
wondered if this research might also apply to communications during
contests or other sub-optimal conditions.

Did The Language You Speak Evolve Because Of The Heat?

[ SNIP ]
Consonant-heavy syllables don't carry very well in places like windy
mountain ranges or dense rainforests, researchers say. "If you have a
lot of tree cover, for example, [sound] will reflect off the surface of
leaves and trunks. That will break up the coherence of the transmitted
sound," says Ian Maddieson, a linguist at the University of New Mexico.

[ /SNIP ]
[ SOURCE ]
http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2015/11/06/454853229/did-the-language-you-speak-evolve-because-of-the-heat

Steve Sacco