[CQ-Contest] Why some Caribbean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests

PY2LED - Fernando py2led at fuertesind.com.br
Sat Nov 7 19:09:12 EST 2015

Dear Colleagues, Good day!

I really appreciate all messages sent, each individual point of view,
sharing opinions, suggestions all with education and fully respect.

Join a contest like CQWW and CQWPX continues fine, exciting and I will
always try to participate.  Recently we constructed a contest station near
Sao Paulo and we knows very well what's the costs involved and the extras
when we are in islands etc. We are always looking for a plaque, this is our
target and probably from all of us.  What a pleasure when we look to the
wall on the near future and see a lot of plaques from main contests
worldwide. We are proud of that.

But of course, in some categories, depending on your location and station
setup, before contest starts, you already know to reach that plaque will not
be possible. Here from Southeast part of Brazil, we know that is not
possible at Multi-Multi, Multi-Two, Multi-Single...we always will loose due
to our distance to the main ham population centers/countries like USA, EU,
Japan in the Low Bands. Ok, we will have our country and continental
competition what's fine. But how to become number one worldwide having the
best antennas, radios, amps, towers, cables, automation, operators etc?

To turn what I'm saying more easy to check and understand, let's please have
a look at the Claimed score from CQWWSSB at Multi Operators categories took
from 3830scores.com (where we can compare up to 5 stations):

Multi-Two:

Totals

Call

Edition

Class

Power

Score

QSOs

Zones

Countries

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

CN2R

2015-Oct 24

M/2

HP

39,368,266

CN3A

2015-Oct 24

M/2

HP

38,007,784

PJ4Q

2015-Oct 24

M/2

HP

24,770,768

C4A

2015-Oct 24

M/2

HP

21,237,810

PX2A

2015-Oct 24

M/2

HP

18,302,109

Multi-Multi:

Totals

Call

Edition

Class

Power

Score

QSOs

Zones

Countries

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

CN2AA

2015-Oct 24

M/M

HP

74,585,700

HK1NA

2015-Oct 24

M/M

HP

33,727,337

K3LR

2015-Oct 24

M/M

HP

32,520,150

PJ2T

2015-Oct 24

M/M

HP

29,789,720

ZW5B(@PY5EG)

2015-Oct 24

M/M

HP

23,497,290

Multi-Single HP:

Totals

Call

Edition

Class

Power

Score

QSOs

Zones

Countries

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

EF8R

2015-Oct 24

M/S

HP

33,168,016

CR3A

2015-Oct 24

M/S

HP

28,153,224

P33W

2015-Oct 24

M/S

HP

27,119,096

PJ4X(@PJ4G)

2015-Oct 24

M/S

HP

19,354,856

LT1F

2015-Oct 24

M/S

HP

11,336,365

Multi-Single LP:

Totals

Call

Edition

Class

Power

Score

QSOs

Zones

Countries

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

Cnt

FY5KE

2015-Oct 24

M/S

LP

14,427,004

VP9I(@VP9GE)

2015-Oct 24

M/S

LP

7,018,557

EF7X(@EA7PP)

2015-Oct 24

M/S

LP

5,684,625

KP4BD

2015-Oct 24

M/S

LP

5,138,128

PR1T(@PY1NB)

2015-Oct 24

M/S

LP

4,129,990

After to compare all this numbers, based in the Southeast of South America,
I arrived on the following points:

-          Ocean Islands and countries at EU and USA boundaries dominated
this categories;

-          Qsos/points from the South of South America, South of Africa and
etc from lower latitudes on the higher bands like 10m and 15m sometimes
arrives near qso/points amounts from the Winners BUT the qsos/points at
lower bands starting sometimes on 20m but mainly on 40m, 80m and 160m is
impossible to arrive closer. There is an abysm of difference.  Here we have
a question of propagation mixed with distances, right? If yes, why not to
suggest and/or propose new rules considering this issue?

-          Stations located in the boundaries of the main ham population
centers/countries like Caribbean Islands, Mediterranean islands and
countries located in the north of South America, North of Africa and other
similar areas looking to the North of the world will also do a lot more on
40/80/160 meters AND ALSO will do a lot on the high bands, counting 3
points/qso.

-          If you are able to construct a super contest station in a rare
and excellent DX location (inland or offshore) with excellent openings
during the whole 24 hours to EU and NA (this should be nice), probably will
be on the top. But and all other stations under different conditions? Will
compete on this category the whole life without chances?

-          So the conclusion here is that stations located far way from the
main ham population centers/countries (outside this continents) at higher
and lower latitudes normally do very small and limited amount of
qsos/countries/zones in 40m, 80m and 160m  that is NOT compensated by far in
10m, 15m and 20m.

One possible solution could be to create a new category called "Islands" and
separate it per continent.  We will have Islands Winners per Continents and
also an World Islands Rank. One problem solved!

The second situation, regarding this countries inland, located on the
boundaries of EU or NA (North of South America/North of Africa/etc)...we
should think in one way to balance the monsters/unbeatable scores.  If we
don't do nothing to balance, competition will be always boring for the rest
of the world. Let's do barbecue, beer and have fun.

Thanks again for sharing ideas and taking your time with this issue, but
it's very important.

Hope to listen all of you during the next contests and some DX calls.

Have a nice weekend.

73's

Fernando F. R. Cordoba - PY2LED

Alto da Serra Contest Station

PX2A - PX2B

 <mailto:py2led at fuertesind.com.br> py2led at fuertesind.com.br

 <http://www.altodaserradx.com/> www.altodaserradx.com

Hello Dear Contesters, good day!

I was analyzing results from CQWW, CQWPX and in some categories we can see
some nice records made by stations located in the Caribean Islands. Some of
this islands counts like South America.

It is extremelly difficult or impossible to beat their scores from South of
Brazil, Argentina, Uruguai, Paraguai and other south countries due to the
big distances to the main countries lime USA and some European countries.
Also during the main contests, we have only one station (one multiplier) in
some of this islands like Bonaire, Aruba etc and everybody will try the qso.

I would like to understand if's there an explanation or criteria why they
are located in South America for this contests. When we go to some Geography
books, some autors gives reason why they don't include such islands at South
America and they do like Caribean islands.

Maybe this example applies to other parts of the world.  Why not to create
an Islands Category or Central America or so?

Would like to share and listen opinions about this issue.

Many thanks and best 73's