[CQ-Contest] Why some Caribbean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests

Martin , LU5DX lu5dx at lucg.com.ar
Tue Nov 10 06:47:48 EST 2015

Good explanation of the current situation Jim!
I really believe that contesting as a hobby has gotten to a point where
more and more people is interested in achieving not a perfect, but a more
leveled playing field, at least in terms of the scoring system.
There will always be things out of control, but that doesn't prevent us
from improving what we can.

To me, there are two areas where improvement is possible and will have huge
positive impact:

a.).Scoring System. (It will reduce differences imposed by geographical
advantages)
b.) QSO methodology. Adopting a QSO / QSY system will bring some of the
magic back to our hobby.

World Wide events should really aim at providing everyone better chances
not only to compete, but also to have fun. It is something really common to
hear complaints about stations not being able to break through the EU/USA
W2W for long hours during the day.

And also, let's not forget that contesting is a sport about skills, and
technology. Not only about big bucks.

73,

Martin LU5DX