[CQ-Contest] Why some Caribbean Islands compete as South America at CQWW and other contests

Richard F DiDonna NN3W richnn3w at verizon.net
Tue Nov 10 11:32:11 EST 2015

I believe that at some point in the past, someone did an analysis of
what would happen to a past contest if the scoring metric was changed
from the current scoring format (I believe it was a CQWW contest, but it
may have been an ARRL DX test) to a distance based scoring metric.
IIRC, for the most part, those who won then (under a traditional system)
would continue to have won under distance based format.  One or two "out
of the blue" entrants cracked the "box", but the winners were still, by
and large, the winners.

Now, that is hindsight, and behaviors change based upon the rules, but I
have to agree with Kelly, that if you can't work/hear the DX in the
first place, you are only going to gain so many points when the marginal
band or path does open.

73 Rich NN3W