[CQ-Contest] Leveling the playing field

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Nov 10 16:42:14 EST 2015

On Tue,11/10/2015 12:59 PM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
> Searching for a stat to make your point, Jim?
> CQWW has literally doubled in logs submitted in the past 10 years.
> It’s the fastest growing contest by any measure.  Sorry the JAs are
> not joining the trend buddy.  But the fact is, scores keep getting
> better because the participation in Europe is blowing the doors off.
> Keep them beams point NE…

BUT THAT DOES NOT WORK FROM W6! Of course JAs are not joining the trend.
Neither are other stations in most of AS or OC.

CQWW has big growth ONLY because it favors participation from major
population centers around the Altantic basin.

Thanks to scoring rules and the LOCATION of multipliers, CQWW is not a
WW contest, it is an Atlantic basin contest. The only thing WW about it
is that every country gets to work every other country. The rest of us
are like the candidates in the Republican "before the big guys" debate.
We're simply not in the game.

WRTC competitor K6XX has a primo station on a mountain peak 5 miles up
the road from me. He was not a WRTC competitor in MA, but got to operate
a big station there. He described it as "a completely different contest"
from that QTH.

73, Jim K9YC