[CQ-Contest] Regional Results vs Distance-Based

Trent Sampson vk4ts at outlook.com
Thu Nov 12 22:28:45 EST 2015

To test the distance hypothesis, it could be overlaid over CQWW Logs - They are public logs after all..
By taking the Cetrepoint of each zone as the Dx start point a model could be developed.
Taking the existing points and adding a layer of bonus points for distance worked - ie being generalist as to what the distance between zones is....
Or perhaps deleting the countries from the calculator.
For Example Zone 2 to Zone 2 NIL Points
Zone 2 Contacts a Zone 8 station the distance is X Miles or Km - the distance bonus for the contact is Y .... and away we go...
It could literally co-exist with any contest that operates with Zone exchanges...CQWW JIDX etc
Just a thought
Of interest there was a very heavy push in VK to establish distance based scoring on VHF UHF contests -
The solution was that competitors could enter under the existing rules AND the distance based scoring rules; after three years of running the parallel contest Old rules vs Distance based,  the old rules still has the majority of logs..Go figure...
For me from VK I fully understand that a change to DX based scoring would put us in the box seat with the majority of contests...
Cheers from Zone 30
Trent VK4TS