[CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health

Peter Chamalian W1RM at Comcast.net
Sun Nov 22 12:45:13 EST 2015

I would like to add one more thought.  While the thought of going through
the medical checkups might be a tad scary, just think how scary it is to
have pains in your chest and being in an ambulance in route to the ER (that
was me in 2012).  I won't even begin to tell you the impact all this can
have on your better half...

Pete, W1RM

-----Original Message-----
From: CQ-Contest [mailto:cq-contest-bounces at contesting.com] On Behalf Of
Peter Chamalian
Sent: Sunday, November 22, 2015 10:29 AM
To: 'Contesting Reflector' <cq-contest at contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Contesting and Health

It's always sad when we learn of the passing of a contester.  One of the bad
aspects of our hobby is we tend to sit all the time and our diet (at least
during contesting at least) isn't always the best.

As one who is intimately familiar with heart trouble (2 mild heart attacks,
9 stents and triple bypass) I urge all contesters to pay attention to their
health.  Heart disease, as my cardiologist told me, is one of the things to
have because there is so much that's known about how to treat it.

I would urge everyone who has not had a checkup to get one.  If you are
showing any signs of heart problems (shortness of breath, high blood
pressure, high bad cholesterol, high triglycerides, etc.) to find a good
cardiologist and get a checkup.  It's better to be on the book with one now
rather than meet him or her as you come into the emergency room (as I did).

In my own case, I've had the bad fortune to require some heart procedure
every year since 2012!  But the good news is I am still here, my heart is
strong and I have a good cardiology team that is always looking out for me
and ways to keep me out of the hospital!

Pete, W1RM