[CQ-Contest] Why SuperCheckPartial makes you assisted

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Tue Nov 24 13:21:37 EST 2015

 Well Rich... The answer depends on where you draw the line(s).

IMHO, the so-called "assisted" category (pending a better term) should refer to amateurs whom, in real-time during the contest period, receive direct or indirect information or data regarding where, when, and how other stations are operating.  ("How" can mean how often they ID, patterns as to how they work stations WRT mults, etc.  "Where" and "when" I would think would be self explanatory)

I'm sure if someone were to codify that into a rule, it would be better worded, but that's the gist.

So, with that reference point in mind...

Is monitoring a packet cluster or RBN "assisted" category?  Yes
Is someone calling you on the local repeater?  Yes
Telephone?  Yes
EMail?  Yes
Walking into your shack and tapping you on the shoulder to get your attention?  Yes.

Using a CTY, ZON, or SCP file that you pre-loaded on your computer?  NO.

Why no?  Because they're not being constantly uploaded & updated in real-time during the contest.

Note that the above definition is also only referring to aiding the op in finding other stations (including mults, of course).  Other forms of "assistance" are not prohibited.  (Want to prohibit them?  Be my guest, but write your own definition)

Now, I'm sure that someone will try to shave the hairs even thinner.  I am not proposing this as "the" definition of a technologically-aided SO category, especially one that is finely crafted as to try and catch every possible exception, omission, or aside.  I simply think that was the gist of the intended category when it was crafted... and the start of this endless argument that is caused by an unfortunate (in hindsight) selection of verbage.

73, ron w3wn