[CQ-Contest] Logger comparisons (was Linux Logging Programs)

Ken K6MR k6mr at outlook.com
Tue Oct 20 17:21:22 EDT 2015

As a convert from N1MM to DXLog.net (which is very similar to Win-Test) I found N1MM to be too mouse-centric. Turning options on/off, changing messages, seemed to always require opening some form from a mouse menu. Win-Test and DXLog.net have a rich set of text commands that are typed directly into the log line. Easy and quick. I’m also a terrible typist and it’s much simpler to edit a previous qso without losing time grabbing the mouse, selecting, blah, blah. Just up arrow, tab, edit, and back. Saves me from myself.

Both Win-Test and DXLog.net also have an extensive scripting capability (which I’m still learning) that makes it possible to add features that may not be supported by the base program. N6TV has written a treasure trove of scripts for Win-Test and the K3 that automate and/or simplify operation.  My only complaints with Win-Test is the rather clunky (for me) SO2R second radio interface, and the inability of the user to add new contest configurations.

Particular to DXLog.net, I use the MicroHam u2R accessory outputs to automate my antenna selections. DXLog.net includes a nice antenna selection window with single key selection of available antennas for a band. Similar to the N1MM setup except there is a window that always shows active and available antennas for the band you are on (for each radio). And full rotator integration with PSTRotator.

When I was active around 2004 I used N1MM for a year or two. When I became active again last year I downloaded/bought every program out there and tried them all. That’s the wonderful thing about choice: there is always something for everyone.

Ken K6MR