[CQ-Contest] When is it OK to refuse to give out a QSO?

Bob Burns W9BU w9bu_lists at rlburns.net
Tue Oct 27 07:08:19 EDT 2015

Andy, you make a good point that some folks participate in contests for
reasons other than to rack up a big score.

I'm in Indiana and I have a 9 call. A couple of years ago, I was working the
Illinois QSO Party and calling for Illinois stations. A 5 call answered my
CQ. I thought that he thought I was in Illinois. I replied that I was in
Indiana. He came back with "I need Indiana for WAS". So, we completed the
contact, I got a zero-point QSO in my log, and he got his WAS.

As others have said, this is supposed to be fun. Part of having fun is
helping others. I certainly know that my fun has been helped by the wisdom
and experience of others. We all need to share the fun. When it ceases to be
fun, stop doing it.

Bob...