[CQ-Contest] Coax Stubs for SO2R

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X kr6x at kr6x.com
Tue Sep 8 13:46:24 EDT 2015

Having extensive experience operating from multioperator stations on the West Coast has given me some insight into interference issues.  I can confirm that quite often the source of trouble is not in the front end nor finals of the rigs.  It can indeed be elsewhere.  For instance, at W6HX we had a big problem on 1810 kHz.  The pull-down cable hardware on a large motorized crank-up tower mixed dissimilar metals.  In the wind it was intermittent but it was in effect a 70 foot wire with a diode at the bottom where it was grounded.  One AM broadcast station three miles distant at 1260 kHz was doubled and another at six miles distance on 710 kHz was subtracted, resulting in a meter-pegging signal modulated by both.  If you have anything in your yard that acts like a diode with wires connected there is a potential for harmonics to be generated where filters cannot possibly be of help.

Leigh S. Jones, KR6X