[CQ-Contest] An Easter Egg from the RBN - Not April Fool's, I Promise

Pete Smith N4ZR pete.n4zr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 17:08:51 EDT 2016

I just found out about an undocumented feature of the RBN's Spot
Analysis Tool.  Maybe you already know, but you don't have to wait until
the next day to see comparisons among stations at any given RBN node,
and indeed you can step through a number of them and see, in near real
time, how various stations are doing into a target area, such as Europe
or the US.  Here's how:

Select today's date.
Select a node in your target area - preferably one that hears well and
makes a lot of spots.
Enter the calls you want to compare - yours, your competition, up to 10
of them.
Now here's the trick.  As you add each station whose spots you want to
compare, they are added to the graphs *as of that moment.* To update the
display, simply select another node and then switch back to the original
one.  After you get back, click on the "Refresh Data" icon (it will be
un-greyed-out now).  Shazam - the graphs will be up to date.

Oh, by the way, you can select frequency rather than SNR as the vertical
axis of your graphs, using the radio buttons at the very top of the
Spots Analysis Tool - a good way to see where the competition is
running. Other useful applications are left, as they used to say, "to
the student."

Thanks to WX3B and PY1NB for cluing me in.

--

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at