[CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sun Apr 3 15:00:01 EDT 2016

On 03/04/2016 17:16, Chris Hurlbut wrote:

<snip>

> Single line score probably doesn't do much, and isn't much assistance.
>   (Total Q's, total mults, and total score.)
> Full band break down seems like assistance to me.

"Assisted" is a meaningless and inherently ambiguous term
because all relevant technology assists one way or another.

The term may have had some relevance twenty or more years
ago, before internet use became widespread.

These days, the term "Connected" is a better alternative
because it accurately describes the nature of an operation.

When you connect to an external network for the purpose
of improving your score, you are "Connected".  This would
include cqcontest.net and other real-time scoreboard sites,
the usual cluster and RBN sites, and any other yet-to-be-
introduced networked technology.  Not much wriggle room
there?

To individuals or sponsors who claim that's not what the
rules say, I respectfully suggest it's what the rules
should say.

Note that local multi-channel CW/RTTY, and soon-to-be SSB,
decoders are included in the "Assisted" category. I expect
this will continue regardless of any replacement name for
the category.

73,
Paul EI5DI