[CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

kd4d at comcast.net kd4d at comcast.net
Tue Apr 5 10:01:55 EDT 2016

Hi Randy:

It is clear that Radiosport will not follow the model of Golf or bicycle racing - prohibiting use of advanced technologies (e.g., rangefinders and GPS in golf, motors in bicycle racing).  However, I see no reason that the rapidly evolving technology can't coexist with the traditional "single operator" or "unassisted" categories in Radiosport.

I enjoy using my skills instead of the increasing number of tools and aids available to operate in contests and I like the competition.  The "unassisted" categories in many of the major contests allow me to do this and I don't want to see them removed.  Given the number of entries in these categories, I am not alone.  WRTC restricts the use of many of these technologies.

Frankly, I don't understand the push to eliminate the more traditional (single operator or unassisted) categories.  Maintaining these categories for those who want them doesn't change the game for those who want to use all of the tools and information available.  The only question is whether we "traditionalists" can compete.

The future will be interesting.  The "assisted" category will clearly continue to evolve.  It is likely that remote receivers will become commonplace (CQ 160 is permitting them now).  There will be robot "assistants" that hold run frequencies during bathroom breaks.  The digital and CW RBNs will become much more pervasive and accurate.  Tuning knobs will disappear from radios as the radio itself decodes signals and tuning is done by mouse clicks.  There will be fully robotic stations - these will soon be competing in and winning CW and digital contests.  Voice skimmers will appear.

All of this technology can coexist with traditional "single operator" or "unassisted" categories.

73,

Mark, KD4D