[CQ-Contest] Dayton Hamvention

Jim Brown k9yc at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon Aug 1 23:12:39 EDT 2016

I agree. I'm an EE grad of the Univ of Cincinnati, and lived there five
years. While working at R L Drake as a co-op student, I lived in Dayton
only a few months, but quickly retreated to Cincinnati.  Cincinnati  is
real city with world roots, settled by European immigrants who got there
via the Ohio and Mississippi rivers traffic. It's a much older city, has
a rich cultural scene and major league sports teams.  Dayton (and to a
lesser extent, Columbus) are overgrown country towns. I know about
overgrown country towns -- I grew up in an even smaller one in WV. :)

To its credit though, Dayton suffered a major flood a decade or two ago,
which decimated its downtown, and has worked hard to recover. Those of
us who have stayed downtown have enjoyed the fine new restaurant and bar
scene that has developed a bit to the east of the Crowne Plaza, and
seems to get a bit better with each visit.

All of that said, I strongly agree with those who appreciate the work
and planning that DARA has been doing to prepare for the HARA demise,
and am looking forward to a newer and better Hamvention.

73, Jim K9YC