[CQ-Contest] New hamvention location

B. Scott Andersen bsandersen at mac.com
Tue Aug 2 13:12:41 EDT 2016

I'd like to congratulate the ARRL again for their event in 2014 celebrating their 100th year. It was held in a modern, clean, well-organized facility that had an attached hotel and restaurants nearby. Having the event in a convention center with good quality presentation rooms and a big banquet room was a big step up from most of my experiences at Dayton. I thought our national organization deserved a first-class convention, like any other national group, and we got it. Again, nicely done.

Maybe all this depends on what you're looking for. I know some people go to Dayton and never step inside, spending all their time in the parking lot in the swap-fest. I spend almost no time outside, instead looking at all the new stuff, especially innovations from newer and smaller companies. In a way, this is two completely separate events.

We all want this to be a success going forward, wherever they hold it, as it is our de facto national convention. But I'm going to miss air conditioning, carpet, an attached hotel, and other creature comforts. It was worth a few extra bucks (to me). So, I had hoped that some large city convention center would have been the direction they chose. We will see how this alternative works out.

My 2-cents.

-- Scott

B. Scott Andersen
The future is already here -- it is just unevenly distributed.
[William Gibson]