[CQ-Contest] How to make WRTC more like the Olympics?

Martin LU5DX lu5dx at lucg.com.ar
Tue Aug 16 09:40:20 EDT 2016

Hi Ranko,

What we call "Competition" is really getting out of our hands. I think
we are at a verge and we have two possibilities, we adapt and change
direction, or contesting will continue to suffer and degrade.

Being realistic there are to many factors that cannot be controlled in
our hobby.

I totally agree with you on the general rules.

Furthermore, what about regional  mini-wrtc like events at a regional or
country level?

Taking LU as an example, all those willing to qualify for the main event
should enter IARU HF Championship Field Day Style  in a delimited area
say (50 KM radius, similar terrain profiles, etc).

This could be done twice prior to WRTC.

Local Clubs and groups would supervise the whole event.

To make things simple the same equipment should be used by all. Say 100W
a tribander and wires for the low bands.

That should be lots of fun, promote camradery and serve as an exercise
for the main event.

Also, WRTC rules should be standardized and not left to the criteria of
organizers, that also is part of real Olympics, you don't see the rules
changing every four years.

73,

Martin LU5DX