[CQ-Contest] How to start a run

Steve Lott lottsphoto at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 10:08:14 EDT 2016

Tim,

You got lots of great feedback
and some from some really talented OPS like Tor N4OGW and Steve N2IC
both are very experienced contest ops,  as are a couple of the others that
posted.....

I will add.....

Listen to those that do manage to have good runs
listen to their rate, their pace, their choice of phonetics
and even their tone or inflection of voice when on phone

Then try it out and do not get discouraged
even N0AX well known Ward Silver struggled to get some run rates
for a bit last night on 40m, but his persistence usually pays off

Bottom line is have fun and show that you are having fun in your voice
fun is a contagious thing, and I will underline something mentioned earlier
make sure your audio is clean, turning down the mic gain might actually be
better
the only way to know is to listen to your transmitted signal
for your rig you will need to use another receiver (be careful you don't
fry the front end, no antenna on the second rig and RF gain backed way
down) or ask someone to give you some honest audio reports

Join a contest club, learning and sharing what you know is also fun and
contagious !

Cheers!
steve
KG5VK