[CQ-Contest] How to start a run

john at kk9a.com john at kk9a.com
Mon Aug 22 08:42:55 EDT 2016

Compare W8TAH's 125ft dipole to a resonant dipole on 20m. Broadside his
antenna will be 27dB WEAKER and on the ends his antenna will be about 2dB
stronger than the 1/2wl dipole. The null area has at least a 40 degree
bandwidth on each side where it is significantly weaker. Unless W8TAH can
rotate the antenna or orient it so that the nulls face unpopulated areas
(unlikely in Ohio), a dipole or fan dipole would be a much better choice.

John KK9A