[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Futurer

James Rodenkirch Rodenkirch_LLC at msn.com
Wed Aug 24 08:44:28 EDT 2016

Congratulations, Ward --- in the order you presented them within your post, you:

1 ) paid lip service to those of us who are devotees of narrow band comms and find the idea of fighting for spectrum space with wideband signals distasteful and unwarranted

2) slid in the silly argument that us narrow-band-bubbas don't need to worry 'cuz 'dem wideband modems cost  >$1000.00 so there won't be enough of them to matter; never mind that the cost of a minimally efficient HF transceiver has gone north of $1500.00 several years ago....so, who in theIr right mind could conjure up the notion that a boat owner would spend >$2000.00 to communicate from his/her boat??? AHHHH....but, in the same paragraph, you introduce the real reason why the arrl is pushing this amalgamation of narrow/band ops and screw the CW/RTTY bubbas when you state , " Winlink system is rapidly shifting toward emcomm/public service, which is prominent in our Basis and Purpose of 97.1(a)."

3) the arrl (non-capitalized for emphasis) has always pushed the notion that ares, races and any other four letter word that connotes some sort of public "service" is, down and dirty, the REAL reason....and don't any of you "unwashed types" (those that haven't drank the kool-aid) forget that!!

4) toss in, at the end,  the obligatory "ham radio needs to get with the program - our
over-reliance on decades-old analog modes is laughable," the absolute need, in the eyes of the arrl to "grow the business," AND promote new technology and, thus, new members.......you have captured the essence of the arrl!!!! Your non-profit organization must "grow" so there's more pesos in the coffers!

Let's cut to the chase scene:

The arrl recognizes or believes the numbers of CW and RTTY operators is at a stagnation point while new members are focused on D-star, Win-link and the like....having us "old guys" disappear, i.e. cancel our membership 'cuz you have tossed us under the bus for the "sake of technology," is a calculated risk the arrl elitist are willing tyo take!!! In short ---------- Follow the money!!!

Wideband modes are incompatible with CW and RTTY! Arguments for altering band plans - whether you say it splintering or whatever - is one consideration OR, more palatable is your suggestion of:

         [If the maximum bandwidths of phone and data signals are to be linked in
         one rule, a simple administrative fix could be made by the very simple
         change of applying 97.307(f)(2) to all of the HF bands - renumber it
         from 97.307(f)(2) to 97.307(g) or add (2) to all of the HF bands in
         97.305.  Digital voice would remain confined to the phone bands because
         even though it is transmitted as bits, the overall package is still
         classified as a phone emission, just as digitized images are still
         considered image emissions (facsimile). (See 97.3(c) and 2.201)]

Any other approach panders to new members and the true goals of the  arrl - increase the bottom line  dollars in the coffers!!

71.5, 72 de Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

_________