[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

Ron Notarius W3WN wn3vaw at verizon.net
Wed Aug 24 13:33:45 EDT 2016

FWIW, I'm with Ward on this one, gang.I don't believe anyone would argue that we DON'T have problems with the wide-mode users accidentally (or not so accidentally) stepping on the narrow-mode users (be those wide modes PACTOR or WinLin, or those narrow modes PSK, WSJT, or CW).

We do.

But IMHO, we are in the short AND long term better off solving those issues OURSELVES, through training, band plans, and peer pressure -- rather than having the FCC or another government agency regulate or mandate the solutions. Why? Because the mandates may end up causing other unanticipated problems or consequences, ones that can take us years or even decades to get the agency(s) to resolve.

Solving the issue by regulation should be a last resort. I don't think we're there yet.

73, ron w3wn