[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

Ron Kolarik rkolarik at neb.rr.com
Thu Aug 25 12:32:35 EDT 2016

Hi Michael,

On 8/24/2016 5:53 PM, Michael Adams wrote:
> While I hate to say it, the regulators' response to the "keeps banging away" question would be to point out Part 97 already prohibits willfully or maliciously causing harmful interference, and requires adherence to the standards of good amateur practice, a matter that is independent of RM-11708.
>
> If there is something about a particular mode or automated system that invites noncompliance, or complicates enforcement, it would be appropriate for concerned amateurs to prepare a suitable petition for rulemaking, or to lobby Congress for increased resources for FCC enforcement efforts.

Ahh, yes it's prohibited but it's not being enforced or even monitored
as far as I can tell by either the FCC or OO's. I do understand FCC
budget constraints but even when presented with documentation nothing
ever seems to get done. It does have a lot to do
with the NPRM, inviting more of the same on to the bands is not a good
idea.

> Barring that, the answer is to spin the big dial, or work on making your signal louder (but clean and within power limits) since clearly someone is having a hard time hearing that the frequency is occupied.

I can't spin the big knob, I run a Flex:-) Increasing power is not going
to help them hear me, one classic response I got was " I have the sound
turned
down so I don't have to listen to that horrible noise and the frequency
is published so it's for mailbox use".......yeah, I was beat at that
point can't argue with
genius of that level. Instead of me turning the big knob maybe the
digital messaging crowd needs to turn the little knob up.

> --
> Michael Adams | mda at n1en.org

Ron K0IDT