[CQ-Contest] RM11708 and the Future

Jukka Klemola jpklemola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 13:20:44 EDT 2016

Any AFSK through a SDR TX differs fundamentally with the assumed and
suggested 3kHz criteria.

ARRL infirmation package http://www.arrl.org/rm-11708-faq limits the bad
width to 2.8kHz.
3kHz is a different number,

I need to understand the specification; what is now on the table?

The http://www.arrl.org/rm-11708-faq says 2.8kHz maximum but now I am
reading some verbal expression that is subject for the amateurs to
scrutinize.

Nobody on the reflector is not necessarily a happy guineapig accepting any
specification that is written and merely based on good amateur practice. We
do not understand where it leads to.

A clear number, like 2.8kHz for band width is acceptable.
3.0kHz is barely acceptable.

Through unclear specifying, I see a development to increasing data rate or
decreasing BER.
Those shortwave links would be established using SDR.
That specification could exceed 10kHz. Easily.

The guys who would make that can say it is necessary and is based on the
newest, absolute best amateur practices.

Please, specify a set of the critical specification using numbers so we can
discuss this engineering topic in a way we can take the necessary good
amateur and engineering practices.

As there is a way the maximum band width would exceed 2.8kHz, people have a
good reason to be unhappy.

73,
Jukka OH6LI