[CQ-Contest] Thing that drive me nuts

Ed G ed.n3cw at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 15:01:40 EST 2016

Regarding "TEST" or "SS" or something at the end of one's call...many times
I'll be tuning, and come upon a station but only hear his call (I have not
heard his CQ). So I am never sure if he is CQing or calling another station
on frequency who is CQing. I like "TEST" because it tells me very quickly
that the station I have tuned upon is ending a CQ. So I know whether to call
him or not; I don't have to wait for another full CQ cycle from him.

However, if a station chooses to use "YEST" I would suggest half a space
between his call and TEST. Otherwise folks may dump in their call if they
sense that's the end of the CQ.  So the CQing station who chooses to use
TEST may sometimes become the victim of missing the first letter of a
calling station, because that calling station has hit F4 before TEST is
sent.

--Ed--

---