[CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Mon Dec 19 10:54:49 EST 2016

There are so many more bad apples in gaming..........It comes with
having so many more participants.  They can be banned out of the games
much faster than the way the FCC or other foreign gov'ts deal with our
bad apples and there are ignore features and they take personal
harassment very seriously in gaming.

Interest in ham radio is one thing, interest in contesting or radio
sport is another.  Online gaming has managed to grab this age group and
older and suck them in, thus the comparison. What are they doing right
and can we feed off of that?  I hope our contest software visual
programmers are thinking about this.  Is there a way to build two or
three different user interfaces easily?  One for us old farts, and one
or two for those wishing for a better visual presentation?

I have two sons and a daughter, one son got his license and the other
two have no interest.  I had towers and a pretty decent set up.  It made
no difference.  They already had PlayStation, XBox and hand held games.
I think we appreciate the behind the scenes stuff much more as we get
older and have the knowledge to grasp how extensive the other things are
that go on to make it happen. I don't live on the East coast where I can
work rare DX 24x7  on all bands 24 hours a day HI!

W0MU