[CQ-Contest] Observations of a Young Ham

W0MU Mike Fatchett w0mu at w0mu.com
Mon Dec 19 11:35:11 EST 2016

Pierre,

Are you not getting spotted on CW or SSB or both.

I have noticed that people are far more reluctant to spot on SSB.  Maybe
we have just got lazy because RBN spots pretty much everything on CW for
us.  You know you can test your signals and look on the RBN to see what
nodes heard you.  I use this to test new antennas and compare the
results as best I can.

Your story and what you can or cannot put up is a common story and  is
becoming more common.  Almost all new housing areas have HOA's or
restrictions, which makes if far more difficult for hams to find ham
radio property close to their office or area where they desire to live.
Maybe we need to have more classes or create a class that is a base
system of a 100 watt radio and a vertical or dipoles no more than 50 ft
in the air or similar. Yes I know that CQ has an overlay.  In my mind
overlays are like a tie or kissing your system to use some cliches.
Obviously the guy in Maine with the same setup is most likely going to
beat the same setup in Minnesota for CQ WW but maybe not in NAQP or SS
or some other non  DX contest.  We will never get to a completely level
playing field but how close can we get in non WRTC events?

W0MU