[CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

Carol Richards n2mm at comcast.net
Mon Dec 19 17:23:12 EST 2016

Hello all,

First, I am a not so young ham; licensed when I was 12.  Like many of my
generation I grew up in a row house in a very large city. TV's were black
and white, and some color TV's in big furniture cabinets were just making
their appearnce. There was no cable TV, but lots of rusted TV antennas and
rabbit ears( for those who remember). There really wan't much to do then. My
parents controlled the TV ( all 4 channels). I only had 1 hobby...coin
collecting! I then met another boy about two years older and only five
blocks away. Not only was he into coin collecting, but he was also a ham;
very small world. Like me, He also lived in a row house. This boy named
Larry, was into something called ham radio. Out of sheer luck, he introduced
me to the hobby, and mentored me for my license, helped me build a
transmitter, loaned me a receiver, and somehow got the blessings from my
parents to put up a 40m dipole across 4 roof tops.

This story is not unique, but he did something more. He invited me to join a
club that was all teenagers. This was my intro into contesting, A few years
later, if I promised to have my extra class license, he would introduce me
to the world of a big-time multi-op contest station; i.e.,W3BES later W3GM.
I had never seen 100 foot layover towers, 3 element full sized, monobanders
for 40m, monobanders for the other bands, each on their own separate tower.
He nurtured me into contesting to the point where I kept returning for every
major contest until he beame a SK.

My career took an unexpected twist and I beame a teacher. I set up free ham
radio classes at the high school's night school and had almost 500 graduates
befor I gave it up. Again all of this was before video games, computers, the
internet etc. Many of my students were young and acompanied their parents.

Bottom line...

My enthusiasm, spilled over and infected my students. They all got on the
air with few distractions.

Often the "children" surpassed their parents.

It was a hobby the entire family could enjoy.

Today, most of them are still active, and contesting became a family
endeavor.

These students were nurtured into contesting. Many ended up at the big
multi-op stations for contests, and many also began trying contesting on
their own from modest  low-power stations.

Winning was never a goal. It was the excitement of just making lots and lots
of qsos with people as close as their own town or very far away.

Patience, nurturing, and mentoring were the keys. Today things are
different. Our young people have too many other ways to occupy their time.
Instead of clubs, they get pushed into a VEC session, get their licenses on
the spot, and more often than not, thats where everything ends. There are
very few clubs that provide activities for them; beyond field day. The
meetings are run by the elder states-people, and sometimes, picnics are held
during the summer months at the home of these same old people. If I go to a
summer picnic, my-grown up children and even my grandchildren, bring their
i-phones and tablets just to keep themselves occupied. They could care less
about the monster antennas and big stations. Their interests come from
instant gratification and derived from "their kind of activities".

Fortunately, educators today are just beginning to understand what 21st
century teaching is all about. Our hobby and its rewards are still 20th
century. That is the disconnect that exists today. We need to do more. The
same excitement that drew us into contesting is contageous if we let it
become that. Camping or traveling to rare counties, or summits, or even the
NPOA event can do more to regaining that enthusiasm. We as a community must
begin, with baby steps, to translate and transfer the excitement that we
had.

Carol