[CQ-Contest] Observations of a young ham

Ken Low kenke3x at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 07:28:03 EST 2016

K2WR wrote:

"There is something (or many somethings) that is failing to attract the younger generation(s) that nobody has quite identified yet."

I think it's easily identifiable:  that 'something' is the social aspect.   Gaming is an excellent comparison.   Example:   My 18-year old was accepted Early Decision to college last week and within 24-hours he was already playing League of Legends with a group of his future Class of 2021's.  Kids bond around an activity. Can you imagine one of them saying "Hi - hope to work you in CQWPX CW next Spring!"

Yes - you will occasionally find a teenager with the patience to learn about propagation, or (God forbid) learn Morse Code, and Amateur Radio may be additive  to that kid's life.

But what most kids really want is friends, fun, social acceptance and a competitive outlet. Contesting may have satisfied some of those basic needs in the 1970's but today there are more efficient outlets.   The technology has moved forward - but human nature has not changed.

Disclaimer:   I have 3 kids (ages 22, 21 and 18) with General class licenses and one who competed for Team USA in High Speed Telegraphy.   They all started with Radio Merit Badge in Scouts.   If they do any contesting at all, it's only because Dad invites them to help with a family Multi-Op.   They would never sit down at the radio themselves, mostly because none of their friends are on the other end of the airwaves.    My 11-year old will do Radio Merit Badge next year to learn the basic principles, and maybe he'll get his Technician license, but I anticipate a similar outcome to his brothers' after that.

73,

Ken KE3X