[CQ-Contest] SO(Team) and SO(A)

Jack Haverty k3fiv at arrl.net
Wed Dec 21 18:02:06 EST 2016

The recent NAQP conversations got me thinking...

On 12/16/2016 10:03 AM, Steve London wrote:
> the original rules, in the Jan/Feb 1986 NCJ:
>
> Entry Classification: Single-operator and multi-operator unlimited.
> Multi-operator stations may be multi-transmitter but are limited to one
> signal per amateur band. Use of helpers or spotting nets by single
> operators is not permitted.

Just an observation...on the way that the term "spotting nets" has
evolved over 30 years, and some ideas:

Thirty years ago, "spotting nets" involved amateur operators
communicating over amateur radio to exchange spotting information.
IIRC, these were mostly local voice networks using 2, 6, or maybe 10
meters to exchange spots within a groundwave/line-of-sight region.

Phase 2 was the advent of amateur packet on 2 meters, and similar
"spotting nets" followed as computers appeared in ham stations.

All of that involved communications by amateur radio, with computers
getting involved as a new technology used both in spotting nets, logging
programs, etc.

Phase 3 was the advent of the Internet, and the movement of "spotting
networks" to utilize other forms of communication and operate over a
much larger region, even global.

Perhaps a reasonable "next step" for contest organizers to consider
would be to look back to Phase 2 - e.g., allowing an SO(A) category to
use "spotting networks" if, and only if, they are implemented using only
amateur radio communications.

It might also be interesting to permit SO(Team) entrants, instead of
being just a collection of uncoordinated SO operators, to use such
"Phase 2" spotting networks, just amongst themselves, and explore how a
Team can actually cooperate to better scores - e.g., finding mults,
moving them, etc.   This might also generate some of the "social
networking" aspects and competitive environment of Team rivalries to
attract younger hams?

Parts of the Internet can be, and have been, implemented over amateur
radio.  The technology exists, but there's still quite a few challenges
to using such an "Amateur Internet" for spotting during contests.  Our
communications just isn't as fast or widespread as the Internet's fiber
infrastructure.  But these challenges are all technical and don't
require lots of money, land, or aluminum.   Can today's advantages of
spotting networks in contests be achieved using only amateur radio for
communications?

Just a thought...
73,
/Jack de K3FIV